LabBuddy is an online manual for practicals aiming to fully prepare students for the experiments they will perform in the lab. The manual is interactive and can answer practical questions, leaving the teacher with more time to focus on the course's subject matter and learning objectives.LabBuddy is an online application for preparing and conducting experiments in the laboratory. Instead of having students conduct a standard ‘recipe’ for an experiment, in LabBuddy students first draw up their research outline using pre-prepared blocks, information and questions about the theory. During the lab assignment, the students follow the protocol in LabBuddy and receive automatic feedback, answers to questions, and ‘just-in-time’ information. The tool also offers the option of reserving instruments in the laboratory and maintaining a detailed lab journal where students can record comments and conclusions and add elements such as graphs from Excel. At the end of the experiment, the student can then export the lab journal to Word and hand it in to the lecturer.
- Better preparation and execution of lab experiments
- Automatic feedback during experiments
- Just-in-time information
The benefits of LabBuddy:
- Students come to the laboratory well-prepared
- LabBuddy encourages the student to think about the structure of a lab assignment instead of following a standard ‘recipe’.
- Many practical questions are already answered in LabBuddy, which creates more time for in-depth instruction during the lab assignment.
- The lecturer can use LabBuddy to monitor the group’s progress and results.
- Educate-it offers both educational and technical support for the redesign of your lab instruction using LabBuddy.
In short: using LabBuddy helps you make the best use of your expensive laboratory time!
The university has purchased a campus-wide license for LabBuddy. That means all students and staff of Utrecht University can enjoy unlimited use of the LabBuddy tool.
LabBuddy has already been tested successfully by several colleagues at UU. If you’re interested in hearing more about their experiences, take a moment to watch the video or visit the inspiration page.
If you’re considering using LabBuddy in your curriculum, please feel free to contact Educate-it. Please note: Redesigning a lab course and the technical design is a time-consuming process for Educate-it, so please contact us to request LabBuddy well in advance, and preferably at least three months before the start of the lab course.
LabBuddy is an online manual for practicals aiming to fully prepare students for the experiments they will perform in the lab. The manual is interactive and can answer practical questions, leaving the teacher with more time to focus on the course’s subject matter and learning objectives.To the experience